The breakaway and battery modules are often the most neglected element of trailer electrical systems. Because many breakaway devices are never called into use, it’s easy to understand why it might be overlooked. Section 393.43 of the Federal Code states that a breakaway system “. . . shall be provided to maintain application of the brakes on the trailer in such case for at least 15 minutes.” Many “lantern” style and small battery systems will clearly not meet this Federal requirement. Even larger batteries may be caught low on power if they are not checked at regular intervals. With shrinking maintenance resources available, breakaway batteries may not receive the attention they need. Given the exposure involved, it just makes good business sense to specify the best components available.
Solar Systems Standard On Sauber Trailers
We include our Model 8854 Solar System as standard equipment on all trailers we manufacture that utilize electric brakes or are equipped with an electric start Hydraulic Power Source. We have made this improvement to reduce customer maintenance costs, increase “up time” in field operations and provide the highest assurance to your users and community that the system will work as designed in the event the of a breakaway.
- Single solar panel with 4.3W of charging, although we’ll still refer to it as a 4W package
- Less cavities to attract and retain dirt
- Reduced installation and replacement wiring; solar panel is installable and replaceable via bullet connectors
- Improved durability and reliability due to reduced splicing
- Inline, replaceable fuse is molded into the wiring which will protect the system in the event of a dead short or other current spike
- Stainless steel base with lockable hasp which can provide a modest level of security if/as needed
Dimensions: 10 3/8″H x 10 9/16″L x 7 11/16″W
|8854||4-Watt Solar System - Includes Battery Box w/ Almag Cover and Solar Panels - 8 lbs|
Note: Battery Not Included w/ Ship outs Due to Restrictions Covering the Transportation of Battery Acid